Saturday, December 20, 2008

Another Update

Chad, Lauren and I spent Friday at Children's Hospital finishing up her testing and visiting with the urologist. Lauren in fact has a significant blockage in the ureter of her right kidney. The doctor feels it is best to go ahead and surgically repair it. It is a significant surgery (when you consider 6 weeks of no PE, gymnastics, or dance), but she is an easy patient when you consider most are babies under 6 months of age. (The doctor referred to her as a "goliath" compared to other patients he has). I still don't understand why we just now are finding out about this problem (most are diagnosed when the mother has her 20 week ultrasound), but I am glad we know now and are getting it fixed. The doctor is the only pediatric urologist in the state and one of 200 in the country so of course another opinion isn't really an option. She is being very brave and in fact decided her "treat" for the surgery trip should be a Nintendo DS (can you tell we've been bribing a little). She is most excited by the fact that Leah and Lauren are both going to be having ultrasounds as well to make sure they don't have a similar condition. Pray for us all and we'll keep everyone posted about a surgery date after it is set on Monday.

5 comments:

Elizabeth Cheek said...

A Nintendon DS???ok, maybe for surgery. Its amazing that the body has adjusted with this problem for the last 6 years. love you -esc

adrienne said...

i have been wondering how things were going with Lauren so thanks for the update! keep us posted... and we'll keep praying. :)

oakleylarue said...

who's the doc?

Allyson said...

oakley-the doctor is redmond? I tried to call one day a week or so ago...call me when you have time!

oakleylarue said...

Yes, I will call. To talk about Lauren and because if you haven't heard, I also need to tell you what I GOT FOR CHRISTMAS!!!