Wednesday, April 2, 2008

The Deweys Hit the Polls

Today the three Dewey girls and I hit the courthouse to early vote in the latest school bond election. I have wanted for weeks to respond to the numerous letters to the editor in the local paper...but as a school employee felt it was in my best interest not to!
I was 1,100th or so to sign in to vote. By the end of the day almost 1,200 people had early voted in just 2 days. Talk about a hot topic. It really saddens me to think that the retirees of our area are so against supporting our children and schools. (of course I know it is just a select few and it is not all retirees...a parent of a student in my classroom has a sign against the millage in front of his business!) I know some are against new taxes..but I really don't want to pay social security either. I saw somewhere that 60% or so of social security checks these retirees are receiving is "new money" from people like me! They don't want to help pay for our schools....but I get to help pay them to retire??? WOW!
I have 3 children that will attend school in Mountain Home and I want what is best for them and the community...I didn't think we needed an indoor practice facility...but the fluff is gone and this new district plan is just what we need. Young professionals (doctors, financial advisors, preachers, ect.) when considering a new area ALWAYS will look at the schools. I can honestly say that if I went and toured one of the wings at Nelson-Wilks I would quickly consider another location. I'm guessing that those who are so against this millage would not be against a physician moving here who could help them if they were ill? It will be interesting to see what happens next week. I know one thing for sure this Dewey girl has spoken.
After rereading this post...I am ALL over the place tonight...I think I need sleep!

No comments: